Old February 21st 14, 11:00 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
sctvguy1[_2_] sctvguy1[_2_] is offline

Default We are living in a Black Whole.

On Fri, 21 Feb 2014 15:40:39 -0500, Joe from Kokomo wrote:

It's not my intention to start a "computer operating system war", but
please permit me a legitimate observation...

If you are at all interested in ham radio programs, logging programs,
propagation programs and digital mode programs like PSK31, RTTY, JT65,
even monitoring the planet Jupiter, many of these (mostly all free),
will not run on Linux. (Yes, I know about FLDigi, but a lot more out
there than that).

Don't know if Linux has a "Windows emulator" like Mac, but even if it
does, why bother?

Got a friend who knows a lot more about computers than I do (and I'll be
the first to admit that doesn't take much), but all I hear about his
Linux is his never-ending battles with its quirks and various
incompatibility problems with Windows software.

So even though Linux is "free", it appears to have its price.

No war, no flames, just my 2 cents.

You can run Windows in a Virtual Computer on Linux, much safer than
running it natively. There are programs being added all the time. In
fact, Scientific Linux is run by the Fermi Labs and at the atomic labs in
Switzerland, they developed it just for that purpose.