Old February 23rd 14, 11:39 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
dave dave is offline

Default We are living in a Black Whole.

On 02/21/2014 12:40 PM, Joe from Kokomo wrote:

On Fri, 21 Feb 2014 11:35:07 -0800, DhiaDuit wrote:

I received an email this morning from. www.velocitymicro.com
says I can get my old Velocity Micro
XP desktop computery upgraded for $149.00 plus parts. Microsoft is
ending support for XP osperatin system. I am thinkin abouts it.

On 2/21/2014 2:41 PM, sctvguy1 wrote:

You should just run Linux. It's free! Just go to distrowatch.com and
download a Linux disc, burn it, and install it.

It's not my intention to start a "computer operating system war", but
please permit me a legitimate observation...

If you are at all interested in ham radio programs, logging programs,
propagation programs and digital mode programs like PSK31, RTTY, JT65,
even monitoring the planet Jupiter, many of these (mostly all free),
will not run on Linux. (Yes, I know about FLDigi, but a lot more out
there than that).

Don't know if Linux has a "Windows emulator" like Mac, but even if it
does, why bother?

Got a friend who knows a lot more about computers than I do (and I'll be
the first to admit that doesn't take much), but all I hear about his
Linux is his never-ending battles with its quirks and various
incompatibility problems with Windows software.

So even though Linux is "free", it appears to have its price.

No war, no flames, just my 2 cents.

That's ridiculous. The open source community is fully engaged re ham
radio, digital modes, dsp, SDR, etc.

If people are trying to run fun stuff on bloatware like Ubuntu, sure,
they'll have trouble. Linux Mint with a light window manager works
great. Dave the fldigi guy is very available. There are forums and
listservers, etc.

I know Larry wouldn't enjoy it, but a lot of us appreciate the
non-commercial world of open source software. It fits very well with the
idea of Amateur Radio. We don't like proprietary stuff as it violates
the spirit of working together for common goals. Please don't sour
lurkers with your generalizations.

Note: WINE [is] Not [a] Windows Emulator