Old February 26th 14, 06:22 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.digital.misc
Fred McKenzie Fred McKenzie is offline

Default Questions about an Icom IC-9100 with D-Star

In article ,
wrote:

hi
i am ve6avk
from alberta canada,had the same problem
i found out that on page 181 reset cpu partial did work after installing a
good ground on all radios as i seemed to have stray rf in the shack keeping
the radio in xmit mode mic relased
73 jonn

John-

In the process of troubleshooting, I did both a partial and complete
reset. That did not help. RF was not the cause, since I was using a
good dummy load.

Someone else reported the actual problem in another newsgroup. At least
in my case, the UT-121 D-STAR board was not seating correctly. It was
necessary to re-seat the board five or six times before it worked. I
believe this is a design flaw. Icom knows about it, but probably will
not do anything. It would be a major modification to change the tiny
connector along with using a new board.

When working, the transmitter does NOT lock-up when transmitting in
D-STAR mode. To use the radio on D-STAR, the minimum requirement is to
set your call letters in the MY field. It may even work without MY
being set.

Apart from the D-STAR problem, I have had some trouble with stray RF. I
have several Radio Shack ferrite choke cores on cables such as for the
external speaker and key. In one case, the problem was RF getting into
the old Accu-Keyer and causing it to lock up!

73,
Fred
K4DII