Old February 27th 14, 10:02 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew
gareth gareth is offline

Default The "Two Transistor challenge" - taking things a bit too far?

"AndyW" wrote in message
On 27/02/2014 03:50, Jerry Stuckle wrote:
LOL, not sure it even needs to be tuned Good thing I like the radio
station - I get it on my phone... my stereo...
It did take a bit to get the interference cleaned up when I first moved
here. But that was 18 years ago, and I haven't had any problems since.

5KW 50 yards away?
You could pick that up on your bath taps!
My biggest bugbear used to be Radio Moscow bleeding all over the MW AM
bands in the 70s on my home made junk pile of a radio. Thankfully those
days are past. Nice to see that My junk pile of a radio -components
connected by drawing pins (thumb tacks) on a wooden board which may
explain the breakthrough - has outlasted Radio Moscow.
I still have the radio and it still works.

A constructional method carried on today as the "Manhattan" method, and
stick-on
isolated isalnds available from the GQRP Club.

They also sell a tool to create such islands onto a blank PCB.

AIUI, those 10MOhm resistors in your junk box that you are never going to
use
provide an almost-insulated stand-off.