Old November 25th 04, 06:43 PM
Jim Adney

On Wed, 24 Nov 2004 18:59:16 +0000 (UTC) "James Bond"
wrote:

are metal film resistors wirewound or not? I've been trying to find this one
out. Someone who I know says they're not so are suitable for RF but Maplin
catalog seems to say they are.

They are not WIREwound, but the resistive element IS usually a helical
film that is a layer on a ceramic body.

As someone else mentioned, there are some types which are serpentine
rather than helical, but these are always special and sold as such.

Film resistors generally have fewer turns in their helix than
wirewounds, so they will have more inductance than carbon or ceramic
bulk resistors but less than wire wound resistors.

-
Jim Adney
Madison, WI 53711 USA