Old March 1st 14, 03:20 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated
Tom Horne[_2_] Tom Horne[_2_] is offline

Default Quad Band Antenna?

On Tuesday, December 31, 2013 12:23:44 PM UTC-5, Phil Kane wrote:
On Mon, 30 Dec 2013 20:59:38 EST, Fred McKenzie wrote:

Another approach for common local frequencies, is to have a single base

station for each frequency, with a remote control at each position.

This allows the base station to be located (in a separate equipment
room?) closer to the antenna to minimize feed line loss. All it takes

is telephone wires to connect between the base stations and remotes.

Each remote could have a switch to select base stations.

At one time one of our clients' RACES installations contemplated putting

an ICOM ham transceiver up near the antennas in the equipment room (attic)
and using the detachable head in the EOC. The head was designed to be "rem
otely" located in a vehicle via a CAT5-type cable.

ICOM said that they had tested it for 50 feet. We were going to test it

on the bench for 250 feet using a spool of CAT5 (no need to unroll the whol
e length) but the client ran out of money for that project and we never got
to do it.

73 de K2ASP - Phil Kane

From a Clearing in the Silicon Forest

Beaverton (Washington County) Oregon

Phil

We are now looking at the equipment available that allows one to control co
mpatible radios over any Ethernet cable. Since an Ethernet Cable can be up
to One Hundred Meters long without needing amplifiers that would allow us
to have any of the compatible separate control head radios up to 328 wire f
eet end to end. That is more than enough length to allow the radios to be l
ocated at the roof line of the facilities we have to operate in and still h
ave the operating positions located at an appropriate location that is conv
eniently accessible to served agency staff.

--
Tom Horne W3TDH