Old March 13th 14, 11:42 AM
kneedeep kneedeep is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Channel Jumper View Post

Go to FMfool.com and look to see what else is in the neighborhood and it's signal level.

My guess is that you cannot use a whole house amplifier and a receiving antenna for broadcast FM radio in the same general vicinity. You need to choose - either or, or shut the whole house transmitter off when you wish to receive broadcast FM stations...
Thanks for the site, it will be useful.

I have no problem receiving broadcasts from FM station that are within a reasonable distance and having the transmitter on or off makes no difference.
It is set to transmit a signal at 88.1 MHz - there's no station within my listening area broadcasting on or near that frequency.

Since I posted the question I found that mounting the antenna on the tower - not on a mast but on the actual tower - effectively detunes the antenna.
So I suppose the solution is to find a better mounting spot away from the metal of the tower - or get it higher and mount it above the yagi that's on the mast now but that presents a problem with the cable length being overly long.

Thanks for your input and sorry to hear about your crystal ball.