Old March 13th 14, 03:29 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Geoffrey S. Mendelson Geoffrey S. Mendelson is offline

Default SDR USB stick

dave wrote:

Does it work without a computer? No? Please add the cost of a suitable
computer to the super low price.

I can't speak to the Funcube type dongles, but the RTL type dongles with
the Elonics (E4000) tuner can be run with a $5 app on an Android tablet.

The App provides both signal decoding and a spectrum display. It works
on my cheap Chinese tablet with a 1.2gHz single core ARM processor.

The downfall is that uses a 256 bit a to d decoder, so the dynamic
range is not very high. There also is very little front end filtering.

A more generic receiver decoder runs on the Raspberry Pi, and you can
use a dongle with the Raphael R820T tuner chips, which start at 26mHz.

I have a Drake TR-7 in the works, and assuming it is useable when I get it,
I plan to hook up one of the E4000 dongles and my Android tablet to the
46mHz IF, giving me a spectrum display and combining 1970's and 2013
technology. :-)

Geoff.