Old March 17th 14, 05:22 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.digital.misc
Rob[_8_] Rob[_8_] is offline

Default Old Packet TNC with new computer

Fred McKenzie wrote:
In article ,
(Bill Gunshannon) wrote:

Can anyone tell me how to activate the Windows terminal program? If
not, can you recommend some other terminal program that will work with
Windows 8?

Get a copy of Putty.

Bill-

Putty.exe works like a charm. Thanks again for the suggestion.

I have been hearing a packet beacon on 446 MHz for several days. With
the TNC working, I was able to see whose beacon it was. I suspect they
are trying to talk to the 441 MHz backbone, but set the +5 MHz offset on
their radio by mistake!

73,
Fred
K4DII

Last week we had continuing interference of a packet signal on the local
voice repeater. In the end I fired up the packet decoding software
(these days you do not need a TNC, just use a PC with soundcard), decoded
the packets and found it was an old friend trying to connect the winlink
bbs run by the local amateur emergency service.

It turns out he is using one of those modern dualband dual-vfo transceivers
with one side tuned to the packet frequency, the other to the local repeater,
and mistakenly transmitting on the wrong VFO.