Old March 20th 14, 07:06 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Jon Danniken Jon Danniken is offline

Default Discone and feedline grounding

Hi all, I'm cooking up a discone antenna for receiving, and I have a
question about feedline grounding. From everything I have seen, the
discone has an impedance of about 50 ohms, and everyone seems to just
connect the feedline right to the antenna; center conductor to the disc,
and shield to the cone.

My question is about what happens when I ground the shield at the
arrestor block just before the cable comes into the house; without a
balun, won't I just be turning the cone into a ground plane? I know
that there are ground plane antennas, but even though I am new to all of
this I thought that a discone was not a ground plane.

What am I missing here?

Thanks for any suggestions,

Jon