Old March 21st 14, 03:36 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
D. Peter Maus[_2_] D. Peter Maus[_2_] is offline

Default FM radio reception at ~24MHz?

On 3/19/14 15:39 , Geoffrey S. Mendelson wrote:

I remember that well too. When I was a teenager someone had a Normande
(probably spelled wrong) AM/FM/Shortwave radio they dropped and it broke
in half. I was able to get it working, and using various things such as my
bed frame, the telephone line, etc, I was able to receive SW signals in a
"garden" (basement) apartment.

My first was a Hallicrafters S-53A. And a not so long random wire.
That was shortly followed up with a Hammarlund Super Pro (Mil
designation BC-794.) It was my grandfather's amateur radio receiver.
Still have it. And a not so recently acquired S-53.

Antennae were always the issue. Random wires were noisy. But could be
concealed. More efficient, and more noise immune antenna required
visible artifacts which drew fire from the parents. (Her father was a
ham and she hated radio gear. He was an idiot who refused to accept that
I could not listen to WNYW on the AM band in St Louis. Both heartily
believed that listening to stations not local to the area damaged both
the radio and create a fire hazard from the increased current draw
needed to reach out for distant stations. They once caught me listening
to WLS on a Philco Transitone, and about beat me senseless for 'trying
to burn the house down.' Mensa was not an option for either of them.)

When I got out on my own, I set up the antennae I wanted, and using
those same receivers travelled the world through a headset.

Still do. But, I rarely use the Hammar. Mostly it's a Drake R8A,
and/or Lowe HF-150, or AOR 7030 Plus.

Out here in the suburban weeds, noise is low. But up in the North
Woods, it can be eerily quiet. And there's enough realestate to put up
some real antennae.