Old April 2nd 14, 06:55 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
[email protected] jimp@specsol.spam.sux.com is offline

Default Radials

Ian Jackson wrote:
In message ,
writes

The ideal radial length for ANY ground plane antenna is slightly longer
than 1/4 wavelength, no matter for what frequencey.

Why is this? I would have thought that a 1/4 wave would be best, as it
offers the lowest impedance.

First you have to define what "best" means.

All antennas are a trade off for impedance, bandwidth, gain and in most
cases physical ability to build the structure.

Changing the radial length will have a small effect on impdedance and resonant
point but changing the radial angle will have a bigger effect on impedance
and a very small effect on resonant point.

I would suggest downloading the demo version of EZNEC and modeling a GP to
see what small changes in various parameters do.

--
Jim Pennino