Old April 5th 14, 06:26 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Mike[_2_] Mike[_2_] is offline

Default Replacement for Tecsun BCL3000

Many options exist, but my current recommendation is clearly the Tecsun PL-660.
USB/LSB/Sync all work great. Very sensitive. The Grundig G3 is good, but gone through five different radios due to sync malfunctions. The Grundig G5 (Eton E5)doesn't have sync, but is still a greatt radio. I would've included the Sony 7600GR, but two in a row have had the USB clarifier go bad.

Mike
KK4TSX

On Thursday, April 3, 2014 11:17:40 PM UTC-4, homepc wrote:
I have a Tecsun BCL 3000 that I use mainly for AM DX listening at the

kitchen table. For the past 6 months the tuner for AM and SW bands

occasionally goes berserk displaying numbers at random in the frequency

tuning window. After a bit of playing with the tuner, usually fast

tuning from one end of the dial to the other several times, resolves the

problem for a short while. This problem aside, it's been a great little

radio.

I am not experienced at fixing things like this so I won't even attempt

to open the case. I called a local radio shop and they advised that it

wouldn't be worth the repair cost.

So I'm looking for a fair replacement. The Source ( Canadian Radio

Shack ) has a Grundig GS450DL radio onsale for $79.99. I've read

reviews crucifying the model and others praising it's merits for a radio

in that price range. A similar model sold bearing the C Crain badge

also has both very bad and good reviews.

In view that I can get a 3 year warranty for $20 extra, would the

Grundig GS450Dl be a wise purchase, so should I be looking at other

models? Any suggestions?