Old December 22nd 03, 03:46 PM
Dave Shrader

Wes, prior to my change of QTH from Massachusetts to New Hampshire I was
one of those guys using a center fed doublet with tuned 600 ohm feeders
and 40:1 VSWRs. I don't have any problem with non resonant antennas
and/or high VSWR! Just manage the losses at a level you are comfortable
with.

I also posted that I would not be concerned with a 40 +/- j35 load [VSWR
= 2.1:1]. If it causes the original poster problems then I stated 'trim'
the antenna.

Or, add/subtract feedline to eliminate the reactive component. Or, use a
transmission line stub to both eliminate the reactive component and
achieve a 1:1 VSWR. There are lots of methods to get to 1:1, but I
believe it is not necessary.

DD, W1MCE
+ + +

Wes Stewart wrote:

But in principle I agree the best place to do the
matching is at the antenna. But when I say this, all of the guys
using ladder line with 50:1 SWRs get all upset.