Old April 8th 14, 03:58 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
dxAce[_22_] dxAce[_22_] is offline

Default WWV 25 MHz back on the air

dave wrote:

On 04/08/2014 07:52 AM, dxAce wrote:

dave wrote:

On 04/07/2014 03:18 PM, dxAce wrote:

Keith wrote:

WWV’s 25 MHz Signal Back on the Air
TAGS: air, daily basis, dean lewis, Fort Collins, listeners, meter
propagation, MHz signal, NIST, old times, Propagation Beacons, standards,
technology, youtube
04/07/2014

WWV silenced its 25 MHz signal in 1977, but it’s back on the air “for old
times’ sake” — officially on an “experimental basis.” Resurrecting the
long-dormant standard time outlet operated by the National Institutes of
Standards and Technology (NIST) was Matt Deutch, N0RGT, the Lead
Electrical Engineer at WWV. It all came about after Dean Lewis, W9WGV,
lamented the loss of the 25 MHz signal in an e-mail to Deutch, who
surprised him by subsequently putting the signal back on the air on April
4 for about 3-1/2 hours.

A listener in Scotland posted his reception of the WWV 25 MHz signal on
YouTube.

WWV is running another 25 MHz test today (April 7), which began at about
1530 UTC. “Matt promises the signal to be available for 24 hours,” said
Lewis. “Members and listeners might be interested in hearing this historic
event.”

Lewis said he’d told Deutch that since 10 meter propagation has been so
good at this point in Cycle 24, and he uses the various WWV frequencies as
propagation beacons on a daily basis.

“He responded that ‘for old times’ sake,’ they’d put the [25 MHz] signal
back on the air for a while. I assumed, of course, that he was kidding,
and so I didn’t check. Matt wasn’t kidding!”

NIST said the 25 MHz broadcast consists of the normal WWV signal heard on
all other WWV frequencies, at the same level of accuracy. The transmitter
in Fort Collins, Colorado, puts out 2500 W into a “broadband monopole.”
WWV has invited listeners’ comments and signal reports.

I checked the freq and propagation to here might be poor, I do hear a het on the freq
that might be them.

I'll have to do further checking as it's been a long time since they've been heard
there.

dxAce
Michigan
USA

Maybe if you tried a proper antenna...

Random wires are entry level and evidence of a lack of imagination.

The only person 'entry level' around here is YOU, ya stupid clown 'tard.

I have an Italian CB antenna (Sirio M-400 Starduster) for 10m. I rule 10m.

Rule? In your dreams, ya clown 'tard.