Old April 8th 14, 10:58 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
sctvguy1[_2_] sctvguy1[_2_] is offline

Default Replacement for Tecsun BCL3000

On Thu, 03 Apr 2014 22:17:40 -0500, homepc wrote:

I have a Tecsun BCL 3000 that I use mainly for AM DX listening at the
kitchen table. For the past 6 months the tuner for AM and SW bands
occasionally goes berserk displaying numbers at random in the frequency
tuning window. After a bit of playing with the tuner, usually fast
tuning from one end of the dial to the other several times, resolves the
problem for a short while. This problem aside, it's been a great little
radio.

I am not experienced at fixing things like this so I won't even attempt
to open the case. I called a local radio shop and they advised that it
wouldn't be worth the repair cost.

So I'm looking for a fair replacement. The Source ( Canadian Radio
Shack ) has a Grundig GS450DL radio onsale for $79.99. I've read
reviews crucifying the model and others praising it's merits for a radio
in that price range. A similar model sold bearing the C Crain badge
also has both very bad and good reviews.

In view that I can get a 3 year warranty for $20 extra, would the
Grundig GS450Dl be a wise purchase, so should I be looking at other
models? Any suggestions?

Check CCrane. They are having a big sale. The CCrane SW/AM/FM is going
for a good price. It has built-in dual dipoles for AM. It is like the
Redsun 2100.