Old April 12th 14, 03:21 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.shortwave
Fred McKenzie Fred McKenzie is offline

Default Hayward design broadband low noise preamp for loops

In article ,
"Geoffrey S. Mendelson" wrote:

This version uses the BSX20 transistor which at the time the book was
written was far more available in the UK than the 2N5179 used by the
original Hayward design.

The book mentions that it was first published in the ARRL Antenna
Handbook, I can not find it in my copy.

Geoff-

Check your E-Mail. I hope you can receive a 3 MB attachment!

I have "The ARRL Antenna Book", Edition 15 from 1988, and Edition 20
from 2003. Both have the 2N5179 amplifier "patterned after a design by
Wes Hayward", as Figure 19 in the chapter on Direction Finding Antennas.

The circuit is billed as a broadband amplifier, but low noise is not
mentioned. It is presented as a 24 dB add-on amplifier for a low noise
preamp used in Figure 18. There is a discussion about choosing a low
noise MOSFET for the preamp.

Fred
K4DII