Old April 22nd 14, 05:09 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Jerry Stuckle Jerry Stuckle is offline

Default San Fransisco's Tower

On 4/22/2014 10:20 AM, Rob wrote:
amdx wrote:
http://gizmodo.com/the-purpose-behin...tow-1539151187

We have a much nicer tower here :-)

It is 365m high in a flat country, or 1200ft in your language.

It was built over 50 years ago, as part of the analog TV network
covering our (small and flat) country. Today it is still used for
high-power FM transmitters, and there are DVB-T transmitters for TV
with of course a lot less power than the old analog transmitters.

There are several amateur radio repeaters located the

- a 2 meter FM repeater, PI3UTR, http://pi3utr.nl/ (nice picture)
- an ATV repeater transmitting on 3cm in FM and DVB-S with inputs
on several UHF bands, PI6ATV, http://pi6atv.com/
- 70cm D-STAR and DMR repeaters, PI1UTR, http://pi1utr.nl/

We consider ourselves lucky to be able to locate repeaters at such
an elevated site, with a large coverage area. Most of the equipment
is located in the "crow's nest" at about 220m, with antennas on
top of that and higher up in the tower. Fortunately the tower is
a metal tube mast with elevator.

Rob,

Yes, you're lucky to have a repeater that high in such a flat and
beautiful country (we loved visiting there!). Where is it located, and
is it able to cover the entire country from there?

--
Remove the "x" from my email address