Old December 14th 04, 03:18 AM
Ken Scharf

R J Carpenter wrote:
"Highland Ham"
wrote in
message

Can the Sirius radio be set to a different FM

frequency?

===============
If your Sirius Radio has an audio output and

your car radio a cassette

player ; you will be able to either homebrew or

purchase an audio cassette

shaped transducer with an audio input ,which

you stick into the cassette

player , such that by "playing the transducer"

you can listen to its audio

input being the audio output of the Sirius

radio.

Until recently, all of the sat radio boxes came
with a fake cassette of this type. Since cassette
players have vanished from new car radios, the FM
modulator is the answer these days.

I too have the interference problems using the FM
output from my XM. Fortunately my car radio still
reads cassettes. We have strong FM stations every
400 kHz around here, in some cases stations in the
Balto/DC area are just 200 kHz apart.

One of the serious problems using the FM approach
is that one must set the audio level far below
what you get from over-the-air FM stations. FM
stations process their audio to be LOUD, yet do
things to negate the 75 us preemphasis curve.
Your XM/Sirius FM modulator doesn't have all that
fancy processing, so you may have to set it as
much as 10 or 15 dB lower in level to avoid
overdeviating.

The only really good way for sat radio is a direct
audio connection of some type.

The 2005 Dodge Caravan we just ordered comes standard
with an AM/FM CD Cassette radio. Yup, it has BOTH a
cd player AND a cassette player!

BTW those cassette adaptors use a tape head run in
reverse for the coupling.