Old May 12th 14, 09:50 PM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew
Jim Mueller Jim Mueller is offline

Default The Transformer

On Mon, 12 May 2014 12:08:00 +0100, gareth wrote:

If one could "ride the electron", what happens deep inside the
transformer such that the inductance of the primary does not limit the
current passing through that primary?

(This lack of understanding always made me feel uneasy when winding my
own potcores for the instrumentation amplifier I was charged with
desiging in my first year after graduating)

This, amongst other things, puzzled me for some time, but ultimately I
reasoned it out. Would anybody like to partake in a _GENTLEMANLY_
discussion about such technical matters?

Also, what of a visualisation of the Magnetic Vector Potential, "A"?

The inductance of the primary does limit the primary current (except for
losses) as long as the secondary is unloaded. When a load is placed on
the transformer, the current through the secondary generates it's own
magnetic field in opposition to the field from the primary. This
effectively reduces the inductance and allows more current to flow.

There are also other ways to look at it.

--
Jim Mueller

To get my real email address, replace wrongname with dadoheadman.
Then replace nospam with fastmail. Lastly, replace com with us.