Old May 14th 14, 07:12 PM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew
KaFKaesque KaFKaesque is offline

Default The Transformer

On 13/05/2014 12:23, gareth wrote:
"Brian Morrison" wrote in message

It's the DC resistance that limits the primary current once the core
is saturated, not the inductance.

When the core is saturated the effective inductance is zero. Think
about the B-H loop diagram for a transformer.

You misunderstand.

I was referring to the saturation of the current, which is limited by the
secondary load.

I think I understand your confusion Gareth.

If the core of the transformer is saturating, then the secondary output
will be distorted, and the peak voltage will not be as high as one might
expect from the turns ratio.

This in turn will limit the secondary current for any given load.

Could this be the effect that you have mistakenly assumed to be
"saturation of the current"?

73
Mike G4KFK