Old May 25th 14, 01:52 PM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew
gareth gareth is offline

Default Winding coils?

Has the era of winding one's own coils passed into history?

I remember in about 1965, or so, only knowing the word, "former"
in the context of "latter" and "former" and having a strange conversation
with Mr.Bullough in one of the local radio shops as the result.

But, the result was advice to wind the coils on a tube from the Ajax
range of kitchen scourers, and Mr.Bullough sold me quite a bit of DCC
wire with which to wind.

(And deep in the junk box from a silent key sale from some years ago, I have
a reel of silk covered!)

Mr.Bullough's claim to fame was that as a lad he charged the batteries for
Marconi's
experiments at Weston-Super-Mare.

Anybody remember the chemical "Nodon Valve", a form of home-produced wet
rectifier for rectifying the mains used in them thar days?