Old May 31st 14, 12:52 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew
gareth gareth is offline

Default Some projects just seem to take forever.

"Michael Black" wrote in message
xample.org...
On Fri, 30 May 2014, gareth wrote:

I've just picked up the 3.5MHz VFO (in a nice diecast ally box)
for which I etched the PCB and got working for the first time
in 1986 :-(

Otherwise, having spent too many months designing (AKA procrastinating)
my retro communications RX from the 1960s, time to pick up the reins
again!

That may be because the magazines often put an emphasis on "looking good",
so we pause while trying to figure out the details, rather than jump in
and then have a panel and chassis with endless holes from false starts.

rest of very interesting reply snipped

I think that could be (I know it is!) part of my problem; I am inspired by
the
Eddystone EA12 and want it to look like that.

Your comment about separate boxes is a good one, and from an experimental
point of view, I had considered making the RF preselector in a separate box,
so that it could be used as a station accessory for whatever RXs came later.