Old June 15th 14, 01:04 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew
gareth gareth is offline

Default Standard RX design?

At the GQRP rally in Sherborne, Dorset, I picked up the chassis for a valved
radio
for the princely sum of £10, intending to raid it for its component parts,
especially
the dial drive and the s-meter.

However, on close inspection back in the shack it seems too good to be
a breakdown unit, and the reason for my enquiry is to determne whether it
is an example of a standard home brew design published some time in the
past?

It appears to be an 80m RX with a 455kHz IF, with a half-lattice Xtal
filter,
together with an Xtal controlled converter to cover the (pre-WARC) HF
bands.

So any clues anyone?

It is so well made, in terms of the accuracy of drilling apparent in the
aluminium
(aluminum for the Yanks) chassis that whoever did make it, I feel that I'd
be
treading on his grave by disassembling it.

It is about 40 years old from the Mullard "piece of toffee" polyester
capacitors in it.