Old January 1st 05, 09:50 PM
default

On Sat, 01 Jan 2005 10:13:02 -0800, Larry Gagnon
wrote:

On Sat, 01 Jan 2005 13:38:44 +0000, N2EY wrote:

NIST scientists have figured out that Morse code may get through poor
transmission conditions when voice does not.

[snip]

...and guess what? It probably cost the American taxpayer hundreds of
thousands of dollars to arrive at a conclusion that most good radio
operators knew about decades ago!!! Doh!....

Larry VE7EA

I'm with you there.

The logical thing would be to develop a digital system (after all
morse is digital) that would appear as text (so non-operators could
grok it), and with variable transmission rates to get the message
through - auto repeat? (and/or lots of abbreviations).

Then test it on some blown up buildings.

But if I were the NIST "scientist" would my primary goal be to solve
the problem or make money studying it?