Old January 2nd 05, 04:34 AM
budgie

On Sat, 01 Jan 2005 16:50:28 -0500, default wrote:

On Sat, 01 Jan 2005 10:13:02 -0800, Larry Gagnon
wrote:

On Sat, 01 Jan 2005 13:38:44 +0000, N2EY wrote:

NIST scientists have figured out that Morse code may get through poor
transmission conditions when voice does not.

[snip]

...and guess what? It probably cost the American taxpayer hundreds of
thousands of dollars to arrive at a conclusion that most good radio
operators knew about decades ago!!! Doh!....

Larry VE7EA

I'm with you there.

The logical thing would be to develop a digital system (after all
morse is digital) that would appear as text (so non-operators could
grok it), and with variable transmission rates to get the message
through - auto repeat? (and/or lots of abbreviations).

When Morse failed to get through, the locally-based branch of a mutlinational
oil produced resorts to ...

FAX. Write the message with a broad-tipped felt pen and send radiofax.
Worked for them. Usually their last Morse transmission as conditons
deteriorated was "send fax ... send fax ..."

Then test it on some blown up buildings.

But if I were the NIST "scientist" would my primary goal be to solve
the problem or make money studying it?

If I were him, right now I'd be keeping a very low profile after such an
astonishing announcement of the very obvious.