Old July 1st 14, 05:27 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Sal M. O'Nella[_4_] Sal M. O'Nella[_4_] is offline

Default replacing rg 213 with hardline

"Ralph Mowery" wrote in message
m...

"Rob" wrote in message
One ham said when he did he could tell the differance. I just don't see

that going from about .4 db or less of loss to .15 db of loss on 80
meters
is going to be noticed.

But what when he was working on 70 centimeters instead of 80 meters?
Then it would be a large difference.

I should have made it clear that this is for 80 meters only, no higher band.
Also he did not say what kind of differance he noticed, just that he did.

Most of my work is 2 meters and higher and good transmission there is a
must. I just don't have the operating time on the low bands to know if that
extra .2 db would make any diffreance there. That is 2/10 of a db.

Yes. It takes 6dB to make a 1 S-unit change. Almost all the time at 80m,
the atmospheric noise is much stronger than the receiver's thermal noise, so
the ability of the other guy to deliver enough signal power to you to be
louder than the atmospherics is the key. He controls that, not you.

On transmit, I suppose every dB counts, considering you're competing with
atmospherics for the other guy's ear. Sort of the inverse of the above.

"Sal"