Old July 2nd 14, 02:54 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
[email protected] nm5k@wt.net is offline

Default replacing rg 213 with hardline

On Tuesday, July 1, 2014 1:51:23 PM UTC-5, FBMboomer wrote:

I am afraid we are all guilty of that at times. I just bought a pixel

magnetic loop receiving antenna. At first blush I thought it was great.

Then I put together an A-B switch so that I can make a well thought out

review for e-ham. The loop has some advantages, especially during

electrical storm noise. However, it does not come close to equalling the

performance of a horizontal loop cut for the right frequency.

What do you mean by performance? You will have trouble getting a decent
null using a horizontal loop. And the easily steerable nulls are 90% of the
reason to use a small loop.
But I only use small loops on low frequencies.. IE: LW to about 2.5 mhz or
so.. AM-BC more than anything, but I've used it on 160m at times.
A small loop can make an offensive ground or space wave signal disappear.
OK at night, but they are not near as effective nulling a sky wave signal
as a ground wave.