Old July 4th 14, 03:18 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
[email protected] nm5k@wt.net is offline

Default replacing rg 213 with hardline

On Thursday, July 3, 2014 6:30:35 PM UTC-5, FBMboomer wrote:

What I mean is that I once had a 120 foot dipole for 75 meters. It was

pretty damn noisy. I think that if I had it again to compare to the

pixel loop for receive, I am guessing that the pixel loop would have a

better S/N than the dipole. Just a guess.

Sounds normal to me, unless you were picking up shack noise.
Noise is RF the same as any other signal. It follows the same rules.
Properly functioning antennas should pick up a lot of noise if the
noise is there to be received. If they don't, they are not very good
antennas. Or at least as far as atmospheric noise.
If the noise is atmospheric, I suspect the s/n ratio of the small
loop would not be that much better than the dipole or loop. You can't
null general atmospheric noise, so the small loop has no real advantage
in that case.