Old July 22nd 14, 02:28 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated
Steve Stone[_3_] Steve Stone[_3_] is offline

Default 50%

On 7/20/2014 12:13 PM, Foxs Mercantile wrote:
So what happened to them? How did we lose 50% of our licensees?

Personal observations over a 20 year period:

Dad is a die hard ham, the kids will get their license to make him happy
but don't use the radio.

Boy Scout merit badge, something to do at Summer Scout Camp.

Health problems.

Work gets in the way.

Family gets in the way.

Belongs to other groups and prefers to spend time doing those other
things the most.

Retired, moved to assisted living, can't put up an antenna.

Lives in a condo or apartment, antenna restrictions, HT doesn't cut it
indoors.

Got license, went to college, lost interest.

Arrested

Went to a tech class crash course, got license with 10 - 20 of their
friends, didn't go any further.

Too busy working for a living.

On tour of duty in Iraq, etc.

Taking care of a sick loved one.

Doomsday Preppers (end of the world as we know it) who don't participate
with anyone but an inner core faction. Radio is on a shelf or in a
faraday cage waiting for the big one.

SK, record stuck in database for next 10 years +/-, next of kin not
inclined to notify FCC.

CBers who get their license, run across a few lids on the local
repeater, get disgusted and go back to CB.

Lost their job, had to sell all their gear to feed the kids.

CERT teams and similar groups that only use ham radio when activated or
training. Do not participate in ARES/RACES or Skywarn.

Emergency Management and NWS personnel who get their ham license to be
able to communicate with their ARES, RACES, Skywarn teams but don't do
anything else with amateur radio.

Steve
N2UBP