Old July 25th 14, 03:45 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors,sci.electronics.design
Jerry Stuckle Jerry Stuckle is offline

Default Toob Amplified PC Speakers

On 7/24/2014 10:35 PM, rickman wrote:
On 7/24/2014 3:01 AM, Tim Wescott wrote:
On Thu, 24 Jul 2014 00:31:38 -0400, Michael Black wrote:

On Wed, 23 Jul 2014, Tim Wescott wrote:

On Thu, 24 Jul 2014 08:16:30 +1000, Barry OGrady wrote:

On Mon, 02 Dec 2013 12:58:56 -0600, Tim Wescott

Is toob a brand name? What sort of amps does toob make?

Someone should start a retro amplifier company and call it "Toob".
Really. Someone who loves vacuum tube amps, but doesn't suffer much
from audiophoolery.

Someone came out with a book a year or two ago, where he came up with
some different name for "tube", almost as if a new hip name would make
tubes trendy again.

Vacuum-mode field effect transistor?

I had a prof that referred to them as "GlassFETs".

A home for wayward electrons...

BTW, I am sitting with a hot laptop in my... well lap and the last thing
I would think is "cool" is a valve power amp. I do like the fake toob
idea with LEDs. Lol.

I remember the soft blue glow of the mercury vapor rectifiers (bright
blue if you drew too much current ).

I've though in the past about putting a HV a transformer in the base
with a MV rectifier mounted on top (all enclosed in a grounded wire mesh
for safety reasons). Turn it on and the glow would make a nice night
light and cute antique conversation piece.

Don't know where you can get the parts any more though.

--
Remove the "x" from my email address