Old July 26th 14, 02:04 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Jerry Stuckle Jerry Stuckle is offline

Default Indoor FM boost with no cables?

On 7/26/2014 6:15 AM, Lostgallifreyan wrote:
Jeff Liebermann wrote in
:

Passive repeaters do not work well. I can go through the calculations
for you but basically, you get approximately twice the path loss with
a passive repeater, as you would with a direct path. I can grind the
numbers for you if you want later (I'm giving a talk tomorrow and need
to get some sleep).

No need, but thankyou. I read about them a bit. I get the idea that they're
huge, totally impractical as a spot fix for a few rooms in a basement flat.

What is there to keep the amplifier from amplifying the "mush"?

Plenty. The mush is very localised, some widget (likely a wireless net box
or router) in the upstairs flat, it is not detectable beyond a quarter of the
distance to my outside antenna. Hence, wondering if a tiny boost and an
indoor dipole might be enough to overcome the immediate locality without
annoying the neighbours. See, if that mush does not reach the outdoor antenna
in any measurable degree, it seemed to follow that a tiny boost to adequate
levels might also fail to reach that outdoor antenna, and thus feedback might
be avoided, as well as unwanted transmission strength beyond my boundaries.
Purely speculative, but it seems logical enough to me...

If the box is putting out that much interference, there's a good chance
it has a problem (and may be operating illegally). I would think
correcting the problem at the source would be the better option.

--
Remove the "x" from my email address