Old July 27th 14, 10:07 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Lostgallifreyan Lostgallifreyan is offline

Default Indoor FM boost with no cables?

amdx wrote in :

I made a 6 inch loop with a 2pf to 10pf cap, I could see a peak in
the loop where I adjusted it to, but it was very low Q and when I
started dangling it around my radio I couldn't hear any change.
It may take a slightly smaller loop, I had my cap set at minimum
to get it to tune the low end of the band.
In my mind the experiment failed.
I have had loads of fun with AM band loops with high Q and obvious
effect on reception.

Thanks for trying though, it's good info. One reason I imagined staying with
a dipole is it's close to what already works as standard. A loop for VHF is a
niuce idea for the selectivity of tuning and of orientation, but most radios
couple VHF to what amounts to a wire, not a magnetic coupling, so my
suspicion is that aiming for magnetic coupling won't work so well as a
dipole.