Old August 2nd 14, 02:36 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
dave dave is offline

Default Boats.

On 08/01/2014 10:23 PM, D. Peter Maus wrote:
On 8/1/14 20:02 , wrote:

Similary, Crosby saw the potential of tape in the movie business, and
brought MGM around to embrace tape technology, from optical and
magneitic film, developed and used extensively by Disney.

Using the Academy Curve how could you tell the difference?

Incidently, for years the very highest of high end classical music
recordings used magnetic film rather than tape in their production for
both the better, lower distortion sound, and the lowered noise floor.

I remember Command 35. I always wondered about sprocket noise. My home
town got it's first 351 when we signed a contract with Army Archerd to
do short features. I can rebuild 300s, 350s and 440s with my eyes
closed. 600s, PR-10s, ATRs I have to have a book.

I still use my wire recorders. Every once in a while, someone finds a
spool of wire, and wonders what's on it. I get to transcribe it to
another medium, or other media, and clean up what needs to be cleaned
up. I recently did a box of spools that were sent to me from Greece,
containing dictated love letters from a soldier to his intended near the
end of the war.

We would use them to make trip wires in the mesquites.

Mostly, though I rent them out to theatre companies as props. My wire
recorders have seen 'Death of A Salesman' until they can recite the
dialog themselves.

I know where there's a cherry Webcor right now.