Old August 3rd 14, 07:28 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Jerry Stuckle Jerry Stuckle is offline

Default Indoor FM boost with no cables?

On 8/3/2014 3:31 AM, Ian Jackson wrote:
In message , Jeff writes

Jerry does not seem to take on board that this is an international
group, not a group of ex-US cable technicians who slovenly misuse dBm
to mean dBmV, when the rest of the world uses dBm correctly to mean dB
relative to a milliwatt.

I think only a small minority of US cable TV people would misuse dBm
when they really mean dBmV. I worked in the industry all my life, 20
years of which were for an American company - and I never found this to
be a common practice.

It's quite widespread with many cable companies. I've found technicians
of the two (nationwide) cable companies we have here have no idea what
the difference is. That extends to the people who install the cables in
the houses/businesses. Even the (expensive) test equipment used to
measure the signal is marked in dBm because the techs have no idea what
the difference is. And talking to other companies in my business around
the country indicates the same thing.

Any technical field has its own slang and argot. The people within the
industry understand what it means; that's really all that's important.

I know the difference between dBmv and dBmw - but after several years of
dealing with dBmv, it's easy to slip.

--
Remove the "x" from my email address