Old August 18th 14, 01:20 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated
KC4UAI KC4UAI is offline

Default USA HR-4969

On Friday, August 15, 2014 11:38:58 PM UTC-5, Phil Kane wrote:
In FCC Docket 96-83, the proceeding that established the FCC's OTARD
rules (Section 1.4000) as directed by Section 207 of the

Telecommunications Act of 1996, there was specific wording that the
"preemption" applied to antennas used exclusively for TV/video
reception or for transmission incidental to operation of such systems
(subscriber feedback, download ordering, etc.) A "TV antenna" or
look-alike used for ham radio is specifically not preempted nor is
there any intent to preempt ham radio antennas even if used for TV
reception.

I didn't figure it was "legal", only that it was unlikely for
the HOA to know the difference between me using an old TV antenna
to top load a small tower and actually using it for TV reception.
If it looks like something that the FCC preempted, maybe they
wouldn't say anything, or if I actually used it for TV reception
at first and drew the objection, rightfully claimed the
preemption, they'd unlikely try again and I'd be able to modify
things for Ham use without too much worry.

Old TV antennas still work on the new TV spectrum and seem like they
would be worth at least some amount of top loading if shorted to the
support structure. Arranging a shunt feed on the mast for a few
bands shouldn't be too hard.

The other option I've considered is to just go ask if I can put up a
ground mounted vertical in the back yard, with the understanding that
only about 20' of antenna might be visible from the road and I would
take it down before I sold the house.

Then there is the third approach, what I'm doing now. I just put up
stuff that I don't think anybody would see and I that I don't mind
taking down (i.e. they are cheap wire affairs). So far, that's worked
as long as I didn't go too gaudy. The coax trap inverted V dipole
with the 20' painter's pole center support was a bit much for them,
but I did share a backyard fence with the board president so I didn't
expect that to fly. When you get a warning letter, they
give you 30 days to comply, then it takes 60 more days to actually get
a fine, at least here in Texas. 90 days is plenty of time to cut down
some wire if they got insistent about it.

-= Kc4uai =-