Old August 18th 14, 08:45 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated
Phil Kane Phil Kane is offline

Default USA HR-4969

On Sun, 17 Aug 2014 20:20:52 EDT, KC4UAI wrote:

I didn't figure it was "legal", only that it was unlikely for
the HOA to know the difference between me using an old TV antenna
to top load a small tower and actually using it for TV reception.

I would never advise a client to knowingly violate a law or breach a
contract obligation on the basis "they'll never know the difference".
That's not how I personally practice law. Whether such law or
provision is "reasonable" or not is a different matter.

One thing to consider about whether "they" will catch you or not - it
depends on how much money the HOA wants to invest up front (they can
recover the costs of enforcement after litigation) and the companion
reason - depends on how bad they want to get you. Firms like ours and
our competitors are in the business of determining whether antennas
are active and on what frequencies. With modern technology there is
little need for the extended "stakeouts" of yore.

73 de K2ASP - Phil Kane

From a Clearing in the Silicon Forest

Beaverton (Washington County) Oregon