Old August 21st 14, 01:05 PM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew
Lostgallifreyan Lostgallifreyan is offline

Default Then and now

Michael Black wrote in
news:alpine.LNX.2.02.1408202237200.14425@darkstar. example.org:

I thought of getting a Dremel tool for about 20 years, they looked so
neat, but I couldn't justify the cost. I had no concrete need for it.

The small high speed ones? They're cheap enough, but you're right not to. I
had two, they vibrate hugely, and at those frequencies this is dangerous to
eveything, our biology, the tool, the work, nothing escapes it safely. I
later got a Proxxon IBS/E drill which even at top speed runs clean and smooth
like Rolls Royce aircraft engines in comparison with the Dremel which was
like a screaming two-stroke in comparison!! Add the small KT-70 two-axis
milling table to their cheapest drill stand, and it makes a tool that can
reliably use the same 0.7mm cabide PCB bit to drill FR4 fibreglass board full
of as many holes as you have the patience to drill. A Dremel could never do
that, it would likely break on first contact between drill and work.

One nice thing about the setup I described is it will accurately place fine
holes around the perimiter for small connector holes with any shape wanted,
with minimal filing needed to clean up. The precision is so good that
knocking the waste metal out of the hole before filing was very easy too.
Print out a panel design on paper with a cheap Laserjet printer, then stick
it on the panel, line it up on the table, and for a one-off design it can get
results you could sell in a high end retail shop.