Old August 26th 14, 04:53 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated

Default Are all PL-259s equal

On Mon, 25 Aug 2014 14:35:41 EDT, (Bill
Horne W1AC) wrote:

On Sat, 16 Aug 2014 17:25:15 EDT, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
On Thu, 14 Aug 2014 18:24:05 EDT, DrTeeth wrote:

Is it worth paying a high price for sa supposed quality plg or can
equally used the much cheaper ones?

Ummm... a Flexradio 6300 retails for $2500 and you're trying to be
cheap on coax connectors? That's 0.1% of the retail price for a
silver plated and PTFE connector.

According to Edmunds, a Mercedes-Benz CL65 AMG has an MSRP of over
$200,000.00. Does that mean that everyone who buys one should always
use the most expensive brand-name fuel available?

The CL65 AMG probably is designed to on premium high performance
gasoline. Running it on low octane fuel is probably a bad idea.
Somehow, I don't think the owner of a $200,000 vehicle is going to
risk running it on low octane fuel.

You're making the assumption that since I recommended to not use the
cheapest connector, I must obviously be recommending the most
expensive connector available. That's not the case. I provided a
list of possible problems with low quality connectors. I've
personally experienced all the problems listed in commercial
installations and designs. If one doesn't care about any of the
listed problems, then they can probably do well using low end
connectors. If the problems itemized are deemed to be important, then
there are better connectors available. The OP may not need the
absolute best. For example, a silver plated, PTFE insulated PL-259 is
probably sufficient. No need for expensive low-PIM white bronze
plating material:
http://www.amphenolconnex.com/landing/low-pim-adapters

--
Jeff Liebermann

150 Felker St #D
http://www.LearnByDestroying.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558