Old August 26th 14, 11:35 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew
gareth gareth is offline

Default Spacecraft antennae

In dealing with zonal restrictions (Yank) and planning
permission (Brit) I wonder if there could be a way round
these limitations by emulating the antennae of spacecraft, by
which I mean ingenious ways to fold the whole thing up when
not in use?

(OK, I do understand that with spacecraft it is a one-way operation
of only unfolding.)

There have been designs published in Brit of using the steel of
wind-up tape measures, and this could be a potential starting point
for any discussion, by the use of flat metal tape.

(I did have once a hi power ATU that tuned the inductor by winding
a flat tape around a metallic drum.)

What I would envisage, although I do not have either the mechanical
or the mental wherewithal at the moment would be a telescopic
arrangement that compressed down to about 6 feet, but when fully
opened out (Perhaps as a flower unfolds from a bud?) would
be a 30 foot mast with the equivalent of a TA33Jr atop.

A worthwhile challenge or just another of my pipe dreams
(Vapourware as they have been unkindly christened in another NG)?