Old August 26th 14, 06:10 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew
Fred McKenzie Fred McKenzie is offline

Default QST

In article ,
"gareth" wrote:

In dealing with zonal restrictions (Yank) and planning
permission (Brit) I wonder if there could be a way round
these limitations by emulating the antennae of spacecraft, by
which I mean ingenious ways to fold the whole thing up when
not in use?

(OK, I do understand that with spacecraft it is a one-way operation
of only unfolding.)

There have been designs published in Brit of using the steel of
wind-up tape measures, and this could be a potential starting point
for any discussion, by the use of flat metal tape.

(I did have once a hi power ATU that tuned the inductor by winding
a flat tape around a metallic drum.)

What I would envisage, although I do not have either the mechanical
or the mental wherewithal at the moment would be a telescopic
arrangement that compressed down to about 6 feet, but when fully
opened out (Perhaps as a flower unfolds from a bud?) would
be a 30 foot mast with the equivalent of a TA33Jr atop.

A worthwhile challenge or just another of my pipe dreams
(Vapourware as they have been unkindly christened in another NG)?

Gareth-

You do believe in aiming high! You may not end up with a TA33Jr, but
might find something else that works almost as well.

My approach is the "Octopus" antenna that was published in QST magazine
several years ago. It is a fan dipole made out of mobile whips mounted
on an electrical box. It just fits in my attic. It does not work well
on the lower frequencies, but I'm making lots of contacts on the higher
bands.

Speaking of tape measures, I have an old mil-surplus Hy-Gain Tape
Dipole. Two versions are described at http://www.n2ckh.com/HA4000.htm.

Also, for VHF and higher frequencies, spacecraft and aircraft often use
"patch" antennas that are mere lumps on their skin!

Fred
K4DII