Old August 27th 14, 07:25 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew
Fred McKenzie Fred McKenzie is offline

Default QST

In article ,
"gareth" wrote:

"gareth" wrote in message
"gareth" wrote in message
"Fred McKenzie" wrote in message

Speaking of tape measures, I have an old mil-surplus Hy-Gain Tape
Dipole. Two versions are described at
http://www.n2ckh.com/HA4000.htm.

That's very interesting and also proving that there is nothing new under
the Sun!

I'll need to google for the Octopus, though

OK, found this ..
http://kc5our.com/wordpress/wp-conte...-Antenna-Prese
ntation-1.pdf

Bad practice to repsond to my own posts, but is a Hamstick merely a plastic
tube with a loading coil wound around it, and then a whip antenna at one
end?

(I have on my desk plans to make a coil winding machine)

Gareth-

I replied to your message titled, "Spacecraft antennae". I do not know
how my reply became a new message titled, "QST".

That article on the Octopus Antenna is interesting. It is essentially
the same antenna described in QST, but construction is slightly
different. I suppose mine is a little different as well. For example,
I added a place for a vertical whip.

I currently use a 4 foot vertical whip to add a fifth band (10 Meters).
The ground whip for 20 Meters is a Hustler mast with the kit for extra
resonators. I use a 20 Meter resonator plus a 10 Meter resonator to
balance the vertical whip. The 4 foot vertical whip fits in the attic
with an inch to spare.

Even though it does not have whips for 12 or 17 Meters, it can be
matched with an LDG tuner. When those bands are open, I make contacts!

I believe your description of the Hamstick is correct.

Fred
K4DII