Old July 26th 03, 12:12 PM

- actually, if you consider the effort expended on debating this entire
issue and the expense of an initial consultation with a bottomfeeder,
one may come out ahead simply by getting an MFJ-418, learning the 5WPM,
and passing the CW test - and getting a certificate or upgrading to
a general ticket...

- the truth is that the multiple choice exams are so easy, one can
simply drill for a day or so before the exam and pass easily - all
without any real learning of the principles and operating procedures...

- quite frankly, i'm not surprised there are problems with a number
of operators on the amateur bands - and i find it interesting that
courtesy has to be taught and tested on the FCC exams, when common
sense would dictate and infer good manners anyway... (something
lacking nowadays on Usenet, which i've been using since 1986)...

- is being able to copy CW at 5WPM an indication of skill or evidence
that one is a better radio operator? in some ways, you have to admit
that yes, this is the case... there is a difference between being
able to copy CW and not copy CW (manually of course, as one can also
use a computer)...

- on the other hand, is it necessary to know CW in order to use voice
on HF? of course not...

- i'm a relatively new ham, and am learning CW now... i find the
effort to be a challenge and at the same time, very rewarding... the
ability to learn a new skill, even if considered no longer
necessary by a U.N. agreement, does not diminish the intangible
benefits of mental discipline... (perhaps CW may help me stave off
sliding into early onset of adult Alzheimers)...

:-)

- of course, i also build my own bamboo fly rods and have built two
boats by hand - abilities that some fly fishermen and boaters may
consider superfluous as well...

On Fri, 25 Jul 2003 23:44:03 -0700,
Keith wrote:
On Sat, 26 Jul 2003 02:28:18 GMT, "D. Stussy" wrote:

Actually, this could be read in another way:

There you go, we need some new thinkers on this newsgroup.

--
The Radio Page Ham, Police Scanner, Shortwave and more.
http://www.kilowatt-radio.org/