Old July 27th 03, 08:57 PM
Jim Hampton

Mike, I agree it *is* a reasonable argument. Myself, I would prefer that a
portion of the bands be reserved for digital modes (including cw) in the
same manner that many parking lots used to have a number of spaces reserved
for small cars (I haven't seen that many in some time since cars have shrunk
considerably since the 70s). My fear is that some of the yahoos with 5 KW
capability would love to wreck havoc in the low ends of the various amateur
bands using voice modes. Besides, it makes it easier to find a station
using a mode that you may wish to use if the bands are segmented somewhat to
use.

73 from Rochester, NY
Jim AA2QA

"Mike Coslo" wrote in message
Stu Parker wrote:
On Sun, 27 Jul 2003 16:16:40 GMT, Carl R. Stevenson

wrote:
[snip]

Go ahead. Pick at nits. We all know what he meant.

But the point is well-taken. If CW is to be removed as a
*requirement* for a ham license, then its special status has
evaporated. Why give it any band-plan perks at all? CW operators can
already operate in the phone bands (most of them don't, but that's a
free choice), so why not accord the phone users the same freedom of
choice?

I'd be in favor of reserving a very small portion of each HF band for
rtty, psk31, etc., but I'd let all modes permitted by an operator's
license be used everywhere else.

In other words, it is legitimate and useful to reevaluate the entire
band-plan structure of the Amateur Radio Service, and it is even
thinkable that what is commonly called the "cw portion" of the bands
should be reallocated.

Well, Carl, here is a well thought out and well presented argument.
Your answer?

- Mike KB3EIA -

---