Old September 19th 14, 07:51 AM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew
AndyW AndyW is offline

Default The Compleat Angler?

On 19/09/2014 01:33, Frank Turner-Smith G3VKI wrote:
Chris Kirby wrote:
Frank Turner-Smith G3VKI wrote:

It's illegal to text while driving, but what about using a key?

On most cars, it's compulsory. If you don't turn it, the engine won't
start.

My car doesn't start with a key, you push a button marked "START". The car
I learnt to drive in, a 1956 Ford Popular, also had a button marked
"START". This is called "progress", apparently.
I need a drink.

I drive a lot of hire cars on business and the recent 'progress' means
that I often have to spend ages finding out how the maker of this
particular car has decided to implement things that have been a de-facto
standard such as keys: traditional keys, 'credit card' keys...
I had a key fob that I spent ages trying to find out how to get the key
to pop out before giving out and looking for the key hole only to find
that it was a proximity key that activates the system once you get in
the car.
.... or handbrakes, traditional lever, pull handle, push button,
automagic comfuser controlled intelligent parking brake....

I have to take a refresher course when I get in a new car now.

mumble grumble... getting old....

Andy