Old July 28th 03, 07:33 PM
Michael Black

Floyd Davidson ) writes:
(Stu Parker) wrote:

Don't believe that CW has had a long tradition of having favored
status? Then reread the history of amateur radio. From being the
mode favored by international treaty, to being the only mode that US
hams were allowed to use on 40 meters until 1952, amateur radio
history is full of examples of CW's most favored status.

You are once again mixing the apples with the oranges.

This reminds me of the time Marconi spanned the Atlantic. I remember
he told his assistant "I'm not going to wait until voice modulation
is invented, because I want to give morse code favored status".

Then twenty years later, when hams spanned the Atlantic with shortwaves,
they all said "let's not use that newfangled voice stuff, because
we want to give morse code a favored status". Obviously, Howard
Armstrong who we have to "blame" for all the receivers we use even
today, must have been part of that conspiracy to keep AM in it's place,
since he was part of one of the official transmitting sites for
the attempt.

Of course, there were all those hams in the early days who used
only morse code because they wanted to give it favored status.
It's a myth that they used it because a cw transmitter was simpler
and less expensive.

Let's not forgot OSCAR 1, launched in December of 1961. Those
guys obviously had it send morse code because they wanted to give
the mode favored status.

Michael VE2BVW