Old October 6th 14, 04:03 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated
Fred Goldstein Fred Goldstein is offline

Default Not worthy to be an Extra?

On 10/5/2014 5:31 PM, Howard Lester wrote:
"Foxs Mercantile" wrote

And thanks for bringing to *my* attention that there *were*
extra privileges at one time for Extras.

There still are.
http://www.arrl.org/files/file/Regulatory/Band%20Chart/Hambands_color.pdf

I didn't think I had to explain myself so explicitly.... I *know* there
still are; I *am* one. I meant that I didn't know there were additional
privileges for the Amateur Extra Class in the era before the portions of
the 1950's and 1960's when there *weren't* any additional privileges.

There may also be some confusion about terminology. Jeff pointed out
that in 1923 they created an "Amateur Extra First Class" license, but
also, in 1933, they went to A, B, and C, dropping the "extra" name. So
then there was no "Extra" by name, until the 1951 reforms which also btw
created the Novice and Tech. That "Amateur Extra Class" had no on-air
privs. Incentive licensing in 1967 then reserved some bands for Extras,
other for the revived Advanced (including old grandfathered ones), that
had been General bands.

Extras also were eligible for 1x2 call signs, which IIRC were sort of
randomly assigned at first, then the "pick your own" program started.
That's how I got k1io -- First they gave PYO to people who had been
Extras for a while, then to less-of-a-while Extras, and finally to
anyone with an Extra. That's when I took the Extra test and got my
first choice. Since district 1 is relatively unpopulated, I don't think
anyone had held the call previously -- the K2xx series had been given
out back in the 1940s, but 1-land moved more slowly.