Old October 6th 14, 12:03 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew
gareth gareth is offline

Default Frequency accuracy in older RXs

"Michael Black" wrote in message
news:alpine.LNX.2.02.1410052133310.11722@darkstar. example.org...

He wants a big Eddystone dial, likely connected to a Command Set or BC221
variable capacitor.

Partially right, but after recent posts from me on that matter, I
acquired an Eddystone EA12, which is very stable, because, as
its handbook claims, its thermal capacity is large.

However, just before the acquisition, I finally put money where my mouth
is and obtained some heavy grade aluminium plate to form the chassis
of my projected retro rig, and, anticipating oscillator drift wanted to
discuss various ways of circumventing that. I am fully aware of the
huff-and-puff and how it functions, BTW, but the huff-and-puff is
not absolutely stable to suit reception of some digital techniques.

Yes, I do want RX facilities that have the human-friendly big flywheel
knob and moving pointer, an ergonomic appraoch with its visual
feedback that has never been equalled in any rice box.

Think of the difference between using a DVM and an analogue meter
such as an Avometer where visual tweaking is more usable!