Old October 6th 14, 04:43 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew
rickman rickman is offline

Default Frequency accuracy in older RXs

On 10/5/2014 2:30 PM, gareth wrote:
Being somewhat of a polymath (just spent all day fence judging
at a horse trial) I find that I have a string of ideas faster than I
could ever implement them (rather unkindly described in one area
as vapourware), but I think it to be useful to punt them for a wider
discussion.

Musing upon the Huff-and-Puff technique, I wondered if there
was a better way to improve the frequency stability of older RXs,
because the Huff-and-Puff necessarily brings about a punctuated
frequency span (eg, multiples of 32 Hz), and this is what I came up with ...

Using the ubiquitous timers to be found en masse in most micros
that seem to sell for only a few pence / cents these days, implement
a frequency counter to measure the local oscillator. Then, when
the user presses a Lock button (yet to be provided) the same micro
can program an si570 to generate the same frequency indefinitely
and to switch the mixer stage from the original to this new oscillator.

Gareth really had me going on this one. I was actually thinking of
building this. But there is only one problem with the idea. To use the
Si570 as the VFO for a receiver it would need to output a sine wave.
However the Si570 outputs square waves for digital circuitry. I don't
think the mixer would appreciate all the harmonics produced in a square
wave would it?

On the other hand, the Huff-and-Puff approach can be improved by making
the reference frequency adjustable. Tune the receiver in the normal way
and when you press the button the MCU determines the appropriate
frequency to use for the PLL reference.

--

Rick