Old October 6th 14, 05:27 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated

Default Not worthy to be an Extra?

On Sun, 5 Oct 2014 23:02:29 EDT, Phil Kane wrote:

On Sun, 5 Oct 2014 09:40:05 EDT, Jeff Liebermann
wrote:

Also, extra class licensees can get call signs in the form of 1x2
(N6AA), 2x1 (NA6A) and 2x2 (AA6AA). Advanced class can get only 2x2.
When I upgraded from Tech to Extra, I took advantage of this to trade
in my old call sign for an improved version.

As did I in 1978. 20 years later I paid the "tribute" (i.e. "vanity
fee") to get my original 1x3 call sign back before someone else got
it.
73 de K2ASP - Phil Kane

You might be amused at how I obtained my extra class ticket.

I had been a tech since the 1960's and saw no reason to learn Morse
code in order to talk on HF. I was working for various 2way and
marine radio companies. The last thing I wanted to do when I left
work was see another radio. I almost let my tech license lapse, but a
friend shoved the 610 form in my face and demanded that I renew.

When the code requirement was finally dropped for general class I
decided it was time to upgrade. Having passed the tech exam in the
dark ages (tubes, dynamotors, and Marconi antennas) was deemed
sufficient to demonstrate my technical competence. Therefore, I was
not required to repeat the exam.

The procedure required that I find all my old FCC licenses, which
amazingly were exactly where I buried them. When I appeared at the
scheduled VEC exam, I was informed that for the same price ($10), I
could take the extra exam. If I failed, then they would grant me a
general class license as a consolation prize. Just one problem. I
hadn't studied at all for the extra exam.

I sat down with a borrowed calculator and began to sweat my way
through the questions. The technical questions were easy. The
questions on HF operating protocol, band limits, and procedures were
unfathomable, so I resorted to guessing. I'm fairly sure that I got
all the technical questions right, and missed most of the operational
questions. I was later informed that I had passed by one question.
Whew.

Unfortunately, one of my friends surpassed my feat. He became tired
of using his foreign call sign and decided to get a US ham license. He
passed all 4 elements in one sitting, without missing a single
question, and possibly without studying. I was crushed but still
offered my congratulations.

I don't recommend attempting the extra class exam totally unprepared.
However, if anyone asks, it can be passed without studying.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D